Thursday, June 9, 2011

Entry #6: A Scroll through the Neighborhood 6/10/2011

Although this hasn’t been my first official stroll in my neighborhood, as I walked down Tudor Way, besides all the beautiful houses and landscape, it was nice to actually have time to enjoy the fresh air and take in my surroundings. As I continued walking towards the back there were tons of trees that the wildlife could inhabit because houses have not yet been built in those places. From the street, some people had colorful flowers and others had mini trees and bushes that made up their landscape. It really made me wonder how many trees there were before they were tore down to build our homes although there’s a decent amount left in our backyards. But that’s only because some of our neighbors, including us, have not yet landscaped our backyards. I think my neighborhood is somewhat sustainable because we can only water the grass for a certain amount of time and we pay a homeowner association fee that forces us to keep up our yards and homes. I mean, I understand we have living demands, and I'm sure a lot of people, like myself, have trees in their backyard, but considering how many more trees there used to be for the wildlife, was astonishing. We have lived here going on 6 years now and I have seen major changes in the land and the wildlife in these past years. I think we can help become a sustainable neighborhood by implementing some rules and regulations aside from the homeowner association that make homeowners become more environmental friendly. For example, using biodegradable materials and lawn treatments without harsh chemicals, and maybe even have some solar panels to help balance out how much energy being used in the homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment