Saturday, July 2, 2011

Entry #12: The Urban Experince "Fort Myers" 7/02/2011


For my last field trip I went to the historic part of downtown Fort Myers because I had to come back down for summer B term. It was interesting even through it was raining. I still got to see all sorts of things down there. I liked the statues; there were statues of Edison, Ford, Firestone, and Civil War guys. There was also this cool mural, and it looked like it was made up of tiles or something like that. It depicted the history of the Fort Myers area, it had civil war soldiers, a train, and a bunch of other historic figures and things. I saw the old post office are, now there are all sorts of restaurants and things in there, not just a post office anymore, and there is a hotel near it. The theatre is still in use, and people still put on performances and things, so that's pretty cool to see something like that still in use. We saw the courthouse too. I actually been in the court house a when I was in high school (2008) my senior year when we was runner ups in State's for basketball two years in a row. We all thought we was goning to be receiving a key to the city because we was the only team that did such a thing and boy was we wrong. But besides that disapointment, I thought it was pretty crazy that its made of some type of rock that's endangered and cant be used anymore. I think the rock must be made of some kind of coral or something, because that's what it looked like, and that's the one of the only explanations I can think of and plus it's close to the water so why not. Overall it was a good trip, we got to see historic buildings and statues, and I got to walk around downtown.

As far as my visit around Downtown Fort Myers, I had never experienced a day-time historical walk around this area nor any other area. I was pleaseantly surprised by all the neat landmarks, such as the two huge trees that are held up by a wire, to ensure that they do not fall down. Also, the buildings are so old and beautiful, even I, who has no interest in History, wanted to learn more about them. All of the small and unique little coffee houses, and restaurants made me want to come back and try out one day and I don't even drink coffee but I would like to try some of the restaurants and hopefully I enjoy them. Also I heard the night life is crazy and I'm looking forward to that one day. Over all the whole experince was something I did not expect and it's something I would do again and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment